Individual and Couples Therapy (San Rafael and Sebastopol Area)
I work with individuals and couples who want to deepen the connection with themselves and develop more satisfying, engaging relationships with others. We will create a safe place to unravel stuck places, move toward building or repairing trust, and deal with life transitions.
Authenticity is a key to trusting, intimate relationships, but first we must be willing to look within in an honest, sincere, and gentle way. Depending on your needs and wants, I will help you explore the following:
• Identify your authentic feelings and longings.
• Learn to communicate your feelings, longings, and boundaries in a caring, respectful way -- without distancing people through blame, defensiveness, or criticism.
• Deal with hurt and broken trust in a way that can lead to repair and renewal.
• Heal from loss, rejection, and betrayal -- and keep your heart open for new love.
• Replace escalating cycles of attacking and withdrawing by learning to communicate genuine feelings and longings that underlie toxic anger and criticism; differentiate healthy anger from destructive anger.
• Learn self-soothing skills to develop inner resources; cultivate the awareness and inner strength to be yourself and differentiate your needs and wants from what others want from you.
• Create a climate that invites people toward you, rather than pushes them away.
• Identify and heal the subtle, toxic shame that may be holding you back.
• Develop relationship skills to create a climate for enduring love, trust, and intimacy.
• Embrace necessary sorrow when dealing with grief and loss rather than perpetuate unnecessary suffering.
• Discover the hidden wisdom in your feelings; befriend your feelings and longings without becoming lost in them.
• Communicate with your authentic, empowered voice without overpowering others.
• Connect with your experience in a bodily felt way, rather than trying to figure everything out in your head; honor your spirituality without bypassing feelings.